- (v.9) Let your love be genuine, not a performance. Truly seek to love those around you, doing what will encourage and help, even at a cost to you.
- (v.9) Set your mind, eyes, and ears on what is good. Turn away from what is evil. Take time to ask the Lord if you have begun to allow evil to influence you, and it has been unnoticed.
- (v.10) Show honor to others, instead of looking to gain it for yourself.
- (v.11) Do not be lazy about spiritual things, but strive, in the Spirit, for zealous discipline.
- (v.12) Make rejoicing a part of your life. After all, Christ is victorious, and you are His.
- (v.12) Are you experiencing difficulty? Be patient and wait for the Lord. He will produce good in you, through your trial. Nothing is wasted with Him.
- (v.12) Be prayerful. Develop a continual pattern of communication with God, where you are leaning on Him in everything and for everything.
- (v.13) Be generous with your money and possessions. Their primary function is advancing God's Kingdom and purpose. Look for ways to bless others with what you've been given.
- (v.15) Be empathetic with the joys and trials of others. Love focuses outward in celebration and compassion. Where are these opportunities for you?
- (vv.16,18) Look to grow unity and peace- not division.
- (v.16) Be humble- not enough can be said of the importance of this trait for the Christian. It was a prominent teaching of Christ, and certainly marked His nature (Phil.2).
- (v.17) Have integrity in all your dealings with men. Always walk in the light, since you are of the light.
- (vv.19-20) Be gracious when wronged. Remember that the Lord is for you and He will be just when settling accounts. Leave it to Him, as you model the Gospel.
- (v.21) Make your life about doing good. Give no one an opportunity to speak a bad word of you.
Are any of these noteworthy for you? There is transformative power in the Word of God as the Spirit gives understanding and application. Reflect on these words as much as possible. Almost certainly, something will be useful for you there on any day:
Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality.
Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight. Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. (Romans 12:9-21 ESV)